+27 15 793 7900

FAQ - Frquently asked questions

We have gathered the most commonly asked questions for your information. You will be able to find even more information, tips and advice on the country fact sheets – and you are of course always welcome to contact us.

FAQ - Frequently asked questions

Do I need a visa?

The countries of Southern Africa have different visa demands. European citizens do for example not need to apply for a South African visa. In South Africa you will automatically receive a tourism visum upon arrival which is valid for 90 days from the day of arrival. However in order to receive the visa, you will have to have a return ticket as well as sufficient means for your stay. In addition your passport must be valid for one month in addition to your stay and contain at least two blank pages.

You can read more about the country specifics under the country fact sheet

Do I need any vaccinations?

When travelling to Afrika you must have up-to-date tetanus and diphtheria immunizations (i.e. within the last 10 years). Moreover, you must have a valid vaccination against Hepatitis A (one injection protects for one year and with a reinjection within 6-24 months you are protected for +30 years). Specific advice about vaccinations when travelling to the African countries can be found under the country fact sheets.

You can also find more information on how to travel safely at www.sikkerrejse.dk.

Do I need travel insurance?

Make sure to ask your insurance company about your insurance coverage before booking your next travel. We recommend that you have both cancellation- and travel insurance. If you are not sufficiently covered, we can help you find sufficient insurance through our insurance partner Europæiske Rejseforsikring.

Should I bring cash, and where should I keep it?

There are safety deposit boxes in all river bungalows and villas of Nyati Safari Lodge as well as in all our partnering hotels, so it will be no problem to bring cash. We recommend that you bring some South African Rand (ZAR) to Nyati Safari Lodge to be able to buy a few souvenirs on the tours and to be able to tip the staff by the end of your stay. You will be able to use your credit card on Nyati Safari Lodge for all other purchases. More information on currency and cash needs for the other African countries can be found under country fact sheets.

Do I need to book the optional activities before departure?

At Nyati Safari Lodge, the only activity you need to book in advance is big game hunting. You will be able to order and pay (by credit card) for all other activities at the safari lodge. We recommend that you book tours and activities in advance for most other destinations to be sure of availability.

Should I bring mosquito repellant?

Local mosquito repellant is available in all bungalows and villas at Nyati Safari and Beach Lodge. For other destinations we recommend bringing your own mosquito repellant – e.g. Autan, which you can buy in pharmacies. The stronger repellants with DEET are not sold in Denmark, but can be bought in Sweden and in most European airports.

What type of clothes should I wear on safari?

Long pants – optimally with detachable pant legs - a jacket and practical shoes for the safari excursions is a good idea, all year round. In the dry season (European summer) you will need a hat, maybe gloves and warm and wind resistant upper body clothing, but as soon as the sun comes out, it quickly heats up to 20-25 degrees Celsius, so you will also need shorts, t-shirt and sandals.

In the green period (European winter) it is warmer, so here you will need summer clothing, sandals and a sunhat. Still, we recommend that you bring a warm sweater and a wind resistant jacket along for the evenings and early morning departures. Khaki, white and black clothing is recommended for all safari excursions and a pair of good walking shoes/sneakers for all bush walks.

Can I withdraw or exchange cash on site?

You will find ATM machines in all bigger cities just as in Europe, but in rural areas there are fewer ATMs, and at Nyati Safari Lodge you cannot withdraw cash. In Johannesburg airport you can withdraw and exchange cash, but we recommend that you make any exchanges from home. You will need to bring South African Rand (ZAR) to South Africa, while it is best to bring US dollars to for example Mozambique and Zimbabwe. You can read specific advice and tips for travelling in the Southern African countries under country fact sheets.

Will we sit next to each other on the plane?

We aim to seat co-travelers together and we try to get seats on rows with just two seats next to each other. Still, the airlines always reserve the rights to change the seat bookings even those made by travel agencies, so there are no guarantees.

Do names in passport & tickets need to be identical?

Yes – this is very important! If the names are not identical in your passport and on your ticket you worst case risk missing your flight.

How much luggage can I bring?

Bring a maximum of 20kg of luggage plus hand luggage of maximum 5 kilos measuring no more than 115cm in height-width-depth. On the overseas flight from Europe to Johannesburg you are allowed to bring 23 kg, but the domestic flights from Johannesburg to Kruger National Park have a maximum of 20kg. Thus, if you would like to avoid the risk of having to pay for overweight or having to leave something behind, we recommend bringing maximum 20 kilos for check-in.

When do I receive my flight ticket?

Today you only need to show your passport upon checking in. Still, we will send your electronic ticket/detailed itinerary by e-mail approximately 10 days prior to departure.

Can we use luggage porters at the airport?

We do no recommend using the luggage porters in the airports. The porters, who offer assistance with finding your way and carrying your luggage, are typically pretty aggressive and charge overprices. If you need any help with finding your way, we recommend that you contact the information desks.

What is the time difference?

There is only little time difference between the countries of southern Africa and Scandinavia. South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe and Zambia is just plus 1 hour during Scandinavian winter time. And there is no time difference during Scandinavian summertime. Namibia is plus 2 hours during Scandinavian winter time and plus 1 hour during Scandinavian summer time. Mauritius and Dubai are plus 3 hours during Scandinavian winter time and plus 2 hours during Scandinavian summer time.

How much should I tip?

As in most other places of the world, it is good practice to tip when you are satisfied with the service. Specific advice about tipping in each country you will find under the country fact sheets.

How is the crime level?

At most our destinations you do not have to be worried about crime, with just Johannesburg as the exception. Here you should only go downtown on an arranged tour with experienced guides. In the bigger cities you must act sensibly as in any big city and it is very peaceful out in the rural areas where for example Nyati Safari Lodge is located.

Can I drink the tap water?

The general advice is to drink bottled water, except at Nyati Safari & Beach Lodge. Both lodges have their own drinking well with the finest drinking water that you can drink directly from the tap. There will also be thermos available for free in every bedroom with fresh water every day.

Can I borrow binoculars at Nyati Safari Lodge?

The safari lodge has only a few binoculars. So it is a good idea to bring your own and remember to bring it for the safari excursions, so you have the best opportunities to spot wildlife.

Can I use my cell phone?

Scandinavian cell phones usually work fine although you may have to walk around to find a good signal. Today the Internet is perhaps the best way of communication. You can also make calls from fixed-line telephones at Nyati Safari Lodge and at the majority of our partnering hotels in southern Africa.

How is the Internet access?

Wireless Internet is available for free all across Nyati Safari Lodge and at most of our partnering hotels. Read more about the specific Internet facilities under each hotel.

Can I use Scandinavian electric plugs?

There is generally 220V AC, but the electric sockets have a different form than the Scandinavian ones. At Nyati Safari Lodge and in most of our partnering hotels, you can borrow converters in the reception, if there are none in the room.

Is there laundry service?

At Nyati Safari Lodge there is laundry service (payable). When you leave your clothes for laundry in the morning, it will often be returned to you the same evening. Most of our partnering hotels offer laundry and dry cleaning services too.

Are there new requirements for children travelling to or from SA?

Please be informed that new requirements for children travelling to or from South Africa took effect on 1 June 2015. The requirements are aimed at establishing the principle that all minors (any person younger than 18 years) require the consent of their parents when traveling into or out of South Africa. 

The following documents are required for travelling through a port of entry of South Africa when travelling with minors:

1. Where both parents are travelling accompanied by one or more of their children, such children have to produce:

A valid passports and an Unabridged Birth Certificate (UBC) UBC or Equivalent Document for each child travelling. In South Africa a UBC is an extract from the Birth Register containing the particulars of a minor and those of his or her parent or parents. 

2. Where only one parent is travelling with a child, (or children), each child has to produce:

A valid passport, an UBC or Equivalent Document for each travelling child and the Parental Consent Affidavit from the non-travelling parent whose details are recorded on the UBC or Equivalent Document. A suggested format of the Parental Consent Affidavit can be found here: http://www.dha.gov.za/files/ParentalConsentAffidavit.pdf.

A South African Embassy in the traveller’s country of residence may be approached to commission the oath or solemn declaration required in the Affidavit free of charge. The Affidavit must not be older than 4 months when presented. Please note that the same affidavit will still be valid for the departure or return in relation to the same journey regardless of the duration of the journey. 

3. A person who is travelling with a child who is not his or her biological child, such child must produce:

A valid passport, an UBC or Equivalent Document and Parental Consent Affidavit.

Book now
Contact us
Contact NYATI
Call us on +27 15 793 7900 or write to:
Please enter all required fields
Please enter a valid email

Search in NYATI

This site uses functionality that older versions of Internet Explorer do not support. Therefore, you should change or upgrade your browser.