Nyati Safari+27 15 590 1785
Nyati Safari
Nyati SafariSearch

FAQ - Frequently asked questions

We have gathered the most commonly asked questions for your information. You will be able to find even more information, tips and advice on the country fact sheets – and you are of course always welcome to contact us.

FAQ - Frequently asked questions

Do I need a visa?

The countries of Southern Africa have different visa demands.

European citizens do for example not need to apply for a South African visa. In South Africa you will automatically receive a tourism visum upon arrival which is valid for 90 days from the day of arrival. However in order to receive the visa, you will have to have a return ticket as well as sufficient means for your stay.

In addition your passport must be valid for one month in addition to your stay and contain at least two blank pages. Check with your authorities for country specific visa demands.

Do I need any vaccinations?

When travelling to Afrika you must have up-to-date tetanus and diphtheria immunizations (i.e. within the last 10 years). Moreover, you must have a valid vaccination against Hepatitis A (one injection protects for one year and with a reinjection within 6-24 months you are protected for +30 years). Make sure to contact your health system for specific advice about vaccinations when travelling to the African countries.

Do I need travel insurance?

Make sure to ask your insurance company about your insurance coverage before booking your next travel. We recommend that you have both cancellation- and travel insurance.

Should I bring cash, and where should I keep it?

There are safety deposit boxes in all accommodation types of MILIMA Safari Lodge. We recommend that you bring some South African Rand (ZAR) to the lodge to be able to buy a few souvenirs on the tours and to be able to tip the staff by the end of your stay. You will be able to use your credit card at MILIMA Safari Lodge for all other purchases.

Do I need to book the optional activities before departure?

At MILIMA Safari Lodge, you will be able to order and pay (by credit card) for all activities. Kindly note, that some tours require minimum and maximum number of participation and that all tours are subject to a 48 Hour cancellation policy.

Should I bring mosquito repellant?

Local mosquito repellant is available in all accommodation types at MILIMA Safari. For other destinations we recommend bringing your own mosquito repellant – e.g. Autan, which you can buy in pharmacies.

What type of clothes should I wear on safari?

Long pants – optimally with detachable pant legs - a jacket and practical shoes for the safari excursions is a good idea, all year round. In the dry season (European summer) you will need a hat, maybe gloves and warm and wind resistant upper body clothing, but as soon as the sun comes out, it quickly heats up to 20-25 degrees Celsius, so you will also need shorts, t-shirt and sandals.

In the green period (European winter) it is warmer, so here you will need summer clothing, sandals and a sunhat. Still, we recommend that you bring a warm sweater and a wind resistant jacket along for the evenings and early morning departures. Khaki, white and black clothing is recommended for all safari excursions and a pair of good walking shoes/sneakers for all bush walks.

Can I withdraw or exchange cash on site?

You will find ATM machines in all bigger cities, but in rural areas there are fewer ATMs, and at Nyati Safari Lodge you cannot withdraw cash. In Johannesburg airport you can withdraw and exchange cash, but we recommend that you make any exchanges from home. You will need to bring South African Rand (ZAR) to South Africa, while it is best to bring US dollars to for example Mozambique and Zimbabwe.

How much should I tip?

As in most other places of the world, it is good practice to tip when you are satisfied with the service.

How is the crime level?

At most our destinations you do not have to be worried about crime, with just Johannesburg as the exception. Here you should only go downtown on an arranged tour with experienced guides. In the bigger cities you must act sensibly as in any big city and it is very peaceful out in the rural areas where for example MILIMA Safari Lodge is located.

Can I drink the tap water?

The general advice is to drink bottled water. The water is safe to drink at MILIMA Lodge, but never the less we recommend to drink bottled water.

Can I borrow binoculars at MILIMA Safari Lodge?

The safari lodge has only a few binoculars. So it is a good idea to bring your own and remember to bring it for the safari excursions, so you have the best opportunities to spot wildlife.

Can I use my cell phone?

Cell phones usually work fine although you may have to walk around to find a good signal. Today the Internet is perhaps the best way of communication. You can also make calls from fixed-line telephones at MILIMA Safari Lodge.

How is the Internet access?

Wireless Internet is available for free all across MILIMA Safari Lodge.

What kind of electric plugs?

There is generally 220V AC. At MILIMA Safari Lodge, you can borrow converters in the reception, if there are none in the room

Is there laundry service?

At MILIMA Safari Lodge there is laundry service (payable). When you leave your clothes for laundry in the morning, it will be returned to you the same evening.

Are there new requirements for children travelling to or from SA?

Please be informed that new requirements for children travelling to or from South Africa took effect on 1 June 2015. The requirements are aimed at establishing the principle that all minors (any person younger than 18 years) require the consent of their parents when traveling into or out of South Africa. 

The following documents are required for travelling through a port of entry of South Africa when travelling with minors:

1. Where both parents are travelling accompanied by one or more of their children, such children have to produce:

A valid passports and an Unabridged Birth Certificate (UBC) UBC or Equivalent Document for each child travelling. In South Africa a UBC is an extract from the Birth Register containing the particulars of a minor and those of his or her parent or parents. 

2. Where only one parent is travelling with a child, (or children), each child has to produce:

A valid passport, an UBC or Equivalent Document for each travelling child and the Parental Consent Affidavit from the non-travelling parent whose details are recorded on the UBC or Equivalent Document. A suggested format of the Parental Consent Affidavit can be found here: http://www.dha.gov.za/files/ParentalConsentAffidavit.pdf.

A South African Embassy in the traveller’s country of residence may be approached to commission the oath or solemn declaration required in the Affidavit free of charge. The Affidavit must not be older than 4 months when presented. Please note that the same affidavit will still be valid for the departure or return in relation to the same journey regardless of the duration of the journey. 

3. A person who is travelling with a child who is not his or her biological child, such child must produce:

A valid passport, an UBC or Equivalent Document and Parental Consent Affidavit.

Nyati Safari
Nyati Safari
Contact NYATI
Call us on +27 15 793 7900 or write to:
Please enter all required fields
Please enter a valid email
Book now